Sunday, January 15, 2012

Spicy Soup on a Saturday

I took some of this soup to game night with Anthony, Lucy, Lucy's sister, Josh & Mom. Not everyone had some but everyone who did loved it.


Simpe, Seasonal, Scrumptious
Recipe:  Potato & Chard Soup
Yield:  1 gallon Date: 1/14/12
Portion Size:  Chef:  Rebecca
Scale: 
AMT  UNIT INGREDIENTS PROCEDURES
3.5 pounds russet potatoes (4 large) 1. Scrub & quarter
1 pounds carrots 2. Scrub & cut in half
1 bunch swiss or rainbow chard 3. Wash and coarsely chop
(5 large leaves or about 3/4 pound)
10 cups boiling water 4. Add potatoes and carrots to pot of boiling water, bring 
back to simmer, cover and cook for 8 minutes
5. Add chard to pot, recover, remove from heat and let
sit 8 minutes
 1/4 teasp korean chili flakes
 1/4 teasp Japanese spice blend
(salt-free)
2 teasp kosher salt 6. Add salt and spices to the pot of vegetables
7. Blend smooth in batches & return batches to a new 
pot to reheat
I thought I was limited by the amount of chard I had, but the flavor of the greens really came
through in the finished soup. Next time I will up the amount of greens in my green soup, but I  
was kinda broke. Blending the batch with lots of carrots reminded me of how awesome my
carrot soups were - and how pretty. Now I want to make a carrot soup soon too. I'm thinking of
doing a curry carrot soup, any feedback?
When I first made this Jan 14, I mixed up a bit and added 1/4t korean chili flakes and 1/2t of a
7 pepper firery hot blend that was great for clearing sinuses!!! I had to add 1 cup milk even.

No comments:

Post a Comment